Surprise! Study Links White Racism to Gun Ownership and Opposition to Gun Control Laws
In news that is unlikely to come as a shock to any thinking person, a new study suggests that racists like guns.
As we digest the news of yet another high-profile gun crime, the conversation inevitably comes back to the question of why stricter gun-control laws are so difficult to pass in this country.
There are a variety of explanations, of course, including the political clout of the National Rifle Association. But there are also deeper, psychological reasons why so many Americans would rather endure mass shooting after mass shooting rather than agree to any restrictions on gun ownership.
And one of them, it appears, is ingrained racism.
That’s the implication of a newly published study, which finds a link between gun ownership, opposition to gun control, and “symbolic racism”—racist attitudes that are not overt, but nevertheless color one’s view of the world.
- maingauche reblogged this from newleftmedia
- adelfiacco reblogged this from mode7 and added:
- mode7 reblogged this from newleftmedia
- erwinobviously reblogged this from argusofinsight
- argusofinsight reblogged this from newleftmedia
- worldoftrouble likes this
- argusofinsight likes this
- skittlesinparis reblogged this from newleftmedia
- thatsfabdoctor reblogged this from newleftmedia and added:
- newleftmedia posted this